Where reading is a way of life

Friday, May 11, 2012

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead



Synopsis:  After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deep forests of Montana.  But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger...and the Strigoi are always close by.
Rose and Lissa must navigate their dangerous world, confront the temptations of forbidden love,and never once let their guard down, lest the evil undead make Lissa one of them forever...

My 2 cents:  I have had this series of books sitting on my bookshelfs forever, and I'm finally getting around to reading it!  I've heard so many good things about these books, so I was very excited to read them!

In the beginning of the story I was completely confused.  The story is told in first person narrative from Rose's point of view.  She keeps alluding to a situation that made Rose and Lissa leave the school, but it never really explains it.  I just didn't get a lot of what was going on with the school, not until about 2/3 of the way through the story.  Then it started explaining the event, and much more!  It was a huge twist that I didn't see coming!

I loved Rose.  I don't think her name fit her at all.  She was a totally kick-butt character, one of the better ones I've read.  I also really like Lissa.  Their relationship was something else.  Best friends doesn't even begin to describe it!  The other characters in the story were all relatively minor. We didn't really get to know any of them in detail, other than Christian (swoon!) and Dmitri (SWOON!!)

I really became absorbed with this story, and can't wait to read the rest of the series!  A great promising start to a series!  4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!