Where reading is a way of life

Monday, November 26, 2012

Rebel Heart by Moira Young



GoodReads
432 pages, YA dystopian
2nd book in the Dust Lands series

Synopsis:
It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.

My 2 cents:  I would like to start out by saying, how much I loved Blood Red Road.  It was one of the best books I read this last year.  That being said, I did not like Rebel Heart near as much.  I had very high hopes for this book, and maybe that was part of the problem.


It starts off very good.  It really felt like a continuation of the story, and there was lots of drama with Saba and Lugh.  Both felt so out of place with each other after they had both changed so much.  I really felt like that was going to be the bulk of this book, it would have been fabulous if the author had explored it further.  But, no.  The unthinkable happens, first with Jack, then with Saba.  I don't want to give any spoilers, but I felt like throwing the book against the wall!   I'm all for our characters making mistakes, but both of them felt so out of character...it was hard to read!


By the end, a few things have gotten ironed out, but I had real trouble with sympathizing  with either character at that point.  I think both of them acted so selfish...I will probably read the last book just to see how the story comes out.  I almost gave it 3 stars, but most of the book was really good, so  I ended up giving it 4 stars.

2 comments:

  1. It's not the first I hear people saying that the second book was disappointing... I'll have to check it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've heard other reviews as well...the twists were just too much for me to handle! Thanks for stopping!

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!