Where reading is a way of life

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #7



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at Broke and Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


Today's Top Ten is New to Me Authors I read in 2012
These are in no particular order

1. Richelle Mead
Favorite Book Read--Blood Promise
Why I like her--I think she is a master at plot, and how to drive up suspense in a novel and keep the reader engaged.  I had put of reading the Vampire Academy series for a long time, just because I was getting a little tired of vampire books.  But if you are going to read a vampire series, I would pick this one!

2. Jennifer L Armentrout
Favorite book read--Half Blood
Why I like her--I just cannot put her books down!  Which for me, is the #1 indicator to a great book and author! If I'm completely engaged, I will always come back for more!

3. Kendare Blake
Favorite book read--Anna Dressed in Blood
One of the first things I loved about this book was it was from a male's POV, which is a nice switch up!  This author also knows how to write a gripping ghost story!

4. John Green
Favorite book read--The Fault in Our Stars
Why I like him--Okay, how is it possible I have not read a book by him yet? This book was one of the best books I read all year. Next year, I'm going to try to read every John Green book!

5. Jessica Shirvington
Favorite book read--Embrace
Why I like her--I so just fell in love with Jessica's characters! They compare to Twlight characters to me, as far as how much I care what happens to them! I can't wait to read the rest of this series!

6. Jana Oliver
Favorite book read--Forsaken
Why I like her--Her books are snarky.  Hard to come up with another word, but I just love how kick butt everyone is, and tortured, and misunderstood.  It feels like true goth style work, but with modern day fantasy.  Hard to beat!

7.  Jodi Meadows
Favorite book read--Incarnate
Why I like her--She came up with the most original plot concept in her book that I read all year!  It was so different, and just COOL!  I was also totally engrossed with the characters, and can't wait to see what happens next!

8. Lauren Oliver
Favorite book read--Pandemonium
Why I like her--Faboulous characters put in crazy tough situations!  This series is THE forbidden love story. Because in this world, Love is forbidden completely.  Talk about tough odds!  Again, a really new plot concept in our dystopian genres, lovely characters, and amazing cliffhangers!

9. Dan Wells
Favorite book read--Partials
Why I like him--This man just seems brilliant to me.  His YA dystopian book was my favorite for this genre of the year.  He is really good at setting up the story, and slowly revealing things along the hero's journey...the whole thing was just brilliant!

10. Ann Aguirre
Favorite book read--Outpost
Why I like her--I fell in love with her characters.  This series is a dystopian, but its also a zombie dystopian!  I just loved that! I also like how her main character grows--she started out pretty vicious, and is so clueless when it comes to relationships (platonic or otherwise).  I love how strong she is, but at the same time, so vulnerable when it comes to being loved.

I couldn't narrow this down to just 10, so the next 3 are my honorable mentions!


Tahereh Mafi
Favorite book read--Shatter Me
Why I like her--Another new idea on a dystopian, and a new strange ability for our main character.  The writing style was very different as well.  It was like the main character was always editing her own thoughts.  It made her really easy to root for!

Stephanie Perkins
Favorite book read--Anna and the French Kiss
Why I like her--This lady really knows how to write a teen romance!  She was right on par to how it feels to being in love for the first time!  It's nice to relive those feelings with the characters!

Rae Carson
Favorite book read--The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Why I like her--Her book almost had an old fashioned fairy tale feelings.  Great fantasy, a great plot, and great characters! I can't wait to read more of her!

So that's it, folks! What were your favorite new authors in 2012?

1 comment:

  1. Lauren Oliver is a great one! I love her Delirium series and I can't wait for the next one! Have you read "Before I Fall?" It isn't part of that series but it is really good.

    Here is my list http://itisabooklife.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-ten-tuesday-2-top-ten-favorite-new.html

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!