Where reading is a way of life

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Me, Him, Them, It by Caela Carter


Goodreads
320 pages, YA Contemporary
Standalone
Release Date: Feb. 5th 2013
My rating: 4.5 stars

Synopsis

When Evelyn decided to piss off her parents with a bad reputation, she wasn't planning to ruin her valedictorian status. She also wasn't planning to fall for Todd-the guy she was just using for sex. And she definitely wasn't planning on getting pregnant. When Todd turns his back on her, Evelyn's not sure where to go. Can a distant mother, a cheating father, an angry best friend, and a (thankfully) loving aunt with adopted daughters of her own help Evelyn make the heart-wrenching decisions that follow?With the popularity of JunoTeen Mom, and The Secret Life of the American Teenager, this novel has a built-in audience. Gripping, heartfelt, and responsible, Me, Him, Them, and It is not to be missed!

My 2 cents

I think this is a book that every teen girl should read.  And their mothers.  It really shows the emotional roller coaster of a teen pregnancy, and what it is all about.  And how boys really are!  I had a lot of trouble getting through the first 100 pages.  That part of the novel was all about how Evelyn felt so misunderstood and unloved by her friends and family.  And the indecision and self loathing she feels about her pregnancy.  It was really depressing, and scary for me, since I have a teen daughter!

After she moved into her aunt's house, things got better.  It was still a tough read, but it wasn't quite so bleak.  Her aunt was just awesome, and Evelyn was so lucky that she had her.  I don't know what would have become of this girl otherwise.  I think us adults forget exactly what it felt like to be a teenager.  I think parents get so wrapped up in daily life, that they forget to tell their teens how special and important they are to them.  This book was a good reminder to me on how I deal with my own kids!  I'm not nearly as bad as Evelyn's mom (thank God!) but there's always room for improvement! Okay, enough sappy, I'm starting to tear up!

I really like the realism the book had.  It didn't get too graphic, but it definitely painted the picture in how easy it is to get into trouble, and how hard life can be, even with the best of circumstances.  I hated Evie's parents. Out and out HATED them!  I didn't like Todd or Lizzie much, either.  My favorite characters were Aunt Linda's two adopted daughters (they were so cute!) and her lesbian partner, Aunt Nora.  

The ending was heartbreaking for me, but I do think what happened was for the best for all involved.  As a mother, though, it was hard to read.  I finished this story, and then tracked down my 9 year old daughter in her room to give her hug!  She, of course, thought I was crazy for crying over a book!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!