Where reading is a way of life

Monday, January 21, 2013

Ten by Gretchen McNeil


Goodreads
294 pages, YA Thriller
Standalone
My rating: 4 stars

Synopsis

SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


My 2 cents

I would not suggest reading this late at night, or when there is a storm, or you are in a cabin all by yourself..you will be freaked out!  This was definitely a scary, suspenseful read! I started reading it late last night, and I only made it 100 pages in when I knew I would have to finish it during the day!

So these 10 kids end up at a party on an island vacation home in the middle of nowhere during a terrible storm.  Only a few of them know each other directly, although they all have something (or someone!) in common, they just don't know it yet.

Meg is the main character, and she's by far the smartest one.  Her best friend Minnie is with her.  Minnie is a little...insecure and a tad bit crazy.  She suffers from bipolar disorder, so their relationship is far from perfect. The other main character is T.J.  Minnie has had a crush on T.J. forever, but T.J. asked Meg to the Homecoming Dance a few months earlier.  When Minnie found out, she got really upset, so Meg lied to her and told her it was just a rumor.  She then cancelled on T.J., and they haven't spoken since.  So now they get this wonderful reunion on "spooky island!"

Things get creepy in this story almost instantly, and its exactly like a slasher thriller.  All the stereotypes are here.  Storm? check.  No way to get off the island? check.  No phones? check.  Even will all this though, I still could not figure out the killer.  I had a few hunches, but I was way wrong!  So kudos to the author for giving me a huge thrill at the end!

Once it was daylight, lol, I finished the story all in one read.  It was a great suspenseful read will all kinds of teen drama!  

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad the story was suspenseful and unpredictable. But scary? *shivers* I need to read this now!
    siriusyareader @ Devoured by Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've convinced my daughter to read it, she loves suspenseful thrillers! I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
  2. Haven't picked this one up yet, but my gaze keeps landing on it at the book store. I haven't read a slasher persay, so I might pick this up and read it during the day as you recommend:)
    Thanks for the review!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!