Where reading is a way of life

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


GoodReads
374 pages, YA Dystopian
Under the Never Sky #1
My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

My 2 cents


I started reading this book a long time ago.  I only read the first couple of chapters, then I think I forgot all about it!  I found it the other day on my shelf, so I decided it would be a great start to the new year by finishing it.  I'm glad I finally read it!

I love the dystopian genre, but its getting kind of hard to find new ideas.  Veronica delivered in a big way! In her world, our landscape is ravaged by horrible storms, and it appears our atmosphere has been compromised.  So most of civilization lives in pods, huge space station style ships on the surface.  

Aria gets caught up in a horrible dare gone wrong, and is banished to "The Death Shop."  She probably would have died in a few days, but an Outsider by the name of Perry finds her.  He realizes pretty quickly if he can help her, she can then help him.  

Aria's and Perry's relationship is the most fascinating thing about this book.  They start off with hate and mistrust, and by the end, they've fallen in love.  Its was an amazing journey to read!  I also loved Aria's transformation, from sheltered and weak to a strong, capable girl who can take care of herself!  Perry's journey was also impressive.  He starts off as kind of a selfish, mean jerk, and by the end, turns into a true hero. 

The ending left a lot of things wide open.  I don't think we've come even close to learning everything about this world! I can't wait to read the sequel!  4.5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds Awesome! I will check it out. Thanks for doing a review on it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!