Where reading is a way of life

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bound by J. Elizabeth Hill


Goodreads
YA fantasy
Mirrors of Bershan #1
My rating: 4.5 stars

Synopsis

“Doesn’t she know you can’t do real magic alone?”

Freshly graduated from the Voleno Academy, Faylanna Derrion is trying to find her solitary place in a world where she and her fellow Magicia are expected to find their magical partner as soon as possible. When her mentor and his partner are taken by a terrible darkness before her eyes, her flight to find help brings Tavis into her life. Can she learn to see him as more than a simple farmer or will she accede to her father’s demands to return to her family’s home, following a path others have laid out for her? Can she choose her own course, after a lifetime of refusing to bind herself to anyone?(


My 2 cents

This is the story of Fay, a very powerful Magicia, and trying to find her way after graduation.  Her father has set her forth on a path not of her choosing, and she must decide between Marcius or Tavis.  She honestly really doesn't want to choose either, at least in the beginning.  She wants to be known on her own merit.  But it becomes pretty obvious that Marcius or her father will not let this happen.

Marcius is actually imprisoned in the Mirrors of Bershan.  He was accused of murdering his partner, but claims his innocence.  A few trusted friends of Fay's believe he was innocent of that crime, but they hint there is more to the story. Marcius is visiting Fay's dreams and she secretly longs to be with him.  Tavis is a humble farmer, but whom also has the gift of magic in his blood.  He has not been trained, though.  She meets up with him on her flight away from her father, and they become friends rather quickly, although its pretty clear Tavis has more than friendship in mind.

I really really loved this world that Hill creates for us.  The world building is spectacular.  Most of the story is centered around the characters, which I loved.  I really felt the emotions between the characters, and each of their personal struggles.  All characters were very well written, and they all felt so real to me.  I just couldn't turn the pages fast enough to see what was going to happen next!

At times, I was very frustrated with Fay.  She was obviously making some not so good choices, but it really kept the plot moving.  I couldn't believe how stupid she was being, but towards the end of the book I understood her motives better.   But what I loved about Fay was her tenacity and her independent, strong spirit.  She could handle just about anything, and I love that in MCs.  She had her moments of weakness, but it just made her seem more real.  Tavis was absolutely amazing.  He was totally fine with letting her take the lead, and giving her space and freedom, but also supporting her when it was necessary.  I think Tavis is one of the best book boyfriends I have ever had the pleasure of reading!


The editing needed a bit of work, but after a couple of chapters in, I didn't even notice it.  I was too into the story!  I was thrilled with the ending, and I loved that it actually tied up the story.  It still left things open for the rest of the series, but I really felt like this was a nice, full novel.  I was amazed with Hill's writing, and I can't wait to read more of her books!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!