Where reading is a way of life

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Time to Finish Up My March Reviews!


I have managed to get myself more and more behind on my blog!  Moving really did me in!  I still have several reviews left to finish for March.  I decided instead of staying behind while I slowly caught up, I would just do some quick reviews and share my thoughts on them, so I can start fresh in April!

So, here we go!

Goodreads
Gilded Wings #1
YA Paranormal (Angels)
My rating: 4 stars

Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything begins to change when she turns sixteen. Along with her best friend Dante and their quiet and brilliant classmate Lance, she is awarded a prestigious internship in the big city— Chicago—and is sent to live and work at a swanky and stylish hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous and shockingly young-looking strangers: powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.

As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers a network of secret passageways from the hotel’s jazz-age past that leads her to the heart of the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?

Illuminate is an exciting saga of a teen’s first taste of independence, her experience in the lap of luxury, and her discovery she may possess strength greater than she ever knew.

My 2 cents

This was a really great story.  It took me awhile to unravel what was going on.  Lots of creepy things were happening and great characters.  The setting was perfect.   The middle part of the book was kind of long, and I was started to get a bit bored, but the end really picked up with the suspense!  I loved the romantic aspects!


YA Dystopian, Sci-Fi
My rating: 3.5 stars

And girl created boy…

In the beginning, there was an apple—

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

My 2 cents

Really good story.  Great twists, although the ending was not believeable to me.  Very suspenseful
and intriguing, and I loved the 2 MCs.  I didn't like  Eve's friend or mom at all.  I was very surprised by the ending, and did not see the twists that were coming!



YA Paranormal (Angels)
Hush, Hush #4
My rating: 4 stars

Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.

My 2 cents

This was a great final story.  It was refreshing to have Nora be the one making mistakes instead of 
Patch.  He was perfect throughout the book.   I was so sad about Scott, but  I'm glad he ended up
such a hero for Nora!   Dante was a different new character, and I liked him at first, but after he gave Nora that drink, I didn't trust him at all.  I felt the war itself was a little rushed.  The story might have been better told over the course of 2 books.  The end was very good though!  Loved it!


Goodreads
YA Dystopian, Fantasy
My rating: 3.5 stars

With a past too terrible to speak of, and a bleak, lonely future ahead of her, Aerin Renning is shocked to find she has earned a place at the most exclusive school in the universe. Aerin excels at Academy 7 in all but debate, where Dane Madousin?son of one of the most powerful men in the Alliance? consistently outtalks her. Fortunately Aerin consistently outwits him at sparring. They are at the top of their class until Dane jeopardizes everything and Aerin is unintentionally dragged down with him. When the pair is given a joint punishment, an unexpected friendship?and romance?begins to form. But Dane and Aerin both harbor dangerous secrets, and the two are linked in ways neither of them could ever have imagined. . . .

My 2 cents

I really liked the concept, but the story felt a little short. The romance was not that believable.  The twists at the end were good.  Left a lot of things open, and I don't think this is a series.  I was hoping for a little more story I guess, but I liked it!




YA Mystery Thriller, Paranormal (Ghosts)
Shades of London #1
My rating: 5 stars

The day that Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school is also the day a series of brutal murders breaks out over the city, killings mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper spree of more than a century ago. Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him--the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target. In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.



My 2 cents

This was a really good read!  It felt so modern day, and I loved  all the London references and the setting,
especially the historical references.  The story was really creepy and gruesome at times.  I liked the  ghost paranormal element.  I was biting my nails by the end of it, and had no idea what was going to happen.  Great twists, didn't see any of them coming! (except for one).  The characters were great and very well done.  I started out really liking Jerome, but not so much by the end!   I really liked  Stephen his team!  I can't wait to read the sequel!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!