Where reading is a way of life

Friday, May 10, 2013

Fragments by Dan Wells


Goodreads
564 pages, YA Dystopian
Partials #2
My Rating: 5 stars

Synopsis

Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means--and even more important, a reason--for our survival.


My 2 cents

This was the kind of story that had me glued to the page, much like the first book in the series! This was a fantastic sequel, and Wells really outdid himself with it! It will be hard to review this one without giving away spoilers, but I'll try!

First of all, the story is split up between Kira, Marcus, and Haru's POV. I was glossing over Haru's chapters a bit, but then had to go back and reread, because his stuff is very important! I loved getting Marcus's side to things. We actually get one chapter in Samm's POV as well, which really went a long way in trying to understand him.

There isn't a lot of character development in this one, like in Partials, but the plot of the story more than makes up for it. So much happens in this story, and Wells is a genius tying it all together. And it seems the more we learn about Partials, RM, and Paragen, the more questions we have. 

Just like in the first book, there are some major plot twists throughout, with a huge bombshell at the end! I can't wait to read the conclusion of this story! This is genius dystopian storytelling at its best!

3 comments:

  1. Haven't read this yet, although it's just sitting on the shelf waiting for me. I didn't read your full review because I will be reviewing it on the blog, but I'm so glad you liked it. I'm sure I will too. :)

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I'm extra motivated to read the first, sounds so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Partials but you make it sound amazing! Always love an intense plot-driven story, and the whole idea of Partials have me hooked already :)

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!