Where reading is a way of life

Friday, May 3, 2013

Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto


Goodreads
417 pages, YA Paranormal (Angels)
Halo #3
My Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis

Only sixteen when she started the series, Ally Adornetto knows how teen hearts beat, and this long-awaited conclusion is certain to be her most popular book yet. 

Bethany, an angel sent to Earth, and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier, have been to Hell and back. But now their love will be put to its highest test yet, as they defy Heavenly law and marry. They don’t tell Beth’s archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, but the angels know soon enough, and punishment comes in a terrifying form: the Sevens, who are rogue angels bent on keeping Beth and Xavier apart, destroying Gabriel and Ivy, and darkening angelic power in the heavens.

The only way Bethany and can elude the Sevens is to hide in the open, and blend in with other mortals their own age. Gabriel and Ivy set them up at college, where they can’t reveal their relationship, and where there is still danger around each corner. Will Bethany be called back to Heaven – forever – and face leaving the love of her life?

My 2 cents


After reading the entire trilogy, I kind of wished I had just stuck with reading the first book. Its much better then the following two, and I don't feel I gained much from reading the entire series. I'm pretty sure I understood what the author was going with here, but it felt a little forced at times.


There will be spoilers from the first two books, so reader beware!

The story starts off right away with Xavier and Bethany's secret wedding. Things don't go as they had hoped, though, and soon they are running for their lives. "Heaven" views their union as unholy, and wants to separate them forever. So most of the story is a big game of hide-and-seek, with a bit of angel fighting thrown in at times.

It was pretty hard for me to suspend my disbelief for this one. I mean, really? Bethany hasn't figured out what would happen if she married Xavier? The naive act she has worked in the first story, but by now, she should be a little wiser! I honestly was quite annoyed with her for most of the book.

What saved the book for me was Xavier, Molly, and Gabriel. Gabriel does everything he can to protect Bethany, and as a result, ends up in a pretty dark place. It was great to see him a little flawed and more human. Molly also goes through a horrible situation, and the results are not what we expect! I am really hoping there will be a spin off book or series on these two, because their relationship didn't get enough page time!

I did really like the ending, and felt it was appropriate for the situation. It was also very beautiful and had me tearing up a bit. It was because of this that it gets a 4 star rating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!