Where reading is a way of life

Monday, May 27, 2013

The Fox Inheritance by Mary E Pearson

Goodreads
304 pages, YA Dystopian & Sci-Fi
The Jenna Fox Chronicles #2
My rating: 3.5 stars

Synopsis

Once there were three. Three friends who loved each other—Jenna, Locke, and Kara. And after a terrible accident destroyed their bodies, their three minds were kept alive, spinning in a digital netherworld. Even in that disembodied nightmare, they were still together. At least at first. When Jenna disappeared, Locke and Kara had to go on without her. Decades passed, and then centuries.
Two-hundred-and-sixty years later, they have been released at last. Given new, perfect bodies, Locke and Kara awaken to a world they know nothing about, where everyone they once knew and loved is long dead.
Everyone except Jenna Fox.
My 2 cents
This book takes place 260 years in the future from the first book in the series. Locke and Kara's minds have been in storage this entire time, and a crazy scientist/doctor has finally created bodies for them. They figure out pretty quickly that this "Doctor" is doing very illegal things, so they plan an escape to find their friend, Jenna Fox.

The story is told from the POV of Locke, and I do think he's my favorite character in the series to date. He just wants to find his old friend, Jenna--he has missed her for a long time. Kara, however, seems to be losing it, and blames their entire existence in a box on Jenna.

I didn't like this story as much as the first one. It still had a suspenseful vibe to it, but it did lose a lot of that mystery element like the first one. This story also had more of a dystopian vibe, since it takes place so far in the future, and the country has divided into two. 

I did like the ending much better in this one, and it looks like we will be following Locke in the third book as well. I'm kind of hooked on this series because even though I thought I knew exactly what was going on, there still seem to be some questions. I have no idea what will happen in the third book, but I hope it continues the dystopian vibe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!