Where reading is a way of life

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mind Games by Kiersten White

Goodreads
237 pages, YA Sci-Fi, Suspense
Mind Games #1
My rating: 4 stars

Synopsis

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.


My 2 cents

This was a pretty quick, intense read! I really loved the mystery and intrigue of it. The story goes back and forth between what is happening in the present day, and flashbacks of how the girls got to where they are now. The POV switches between Fia, the talented girl who has perfect instincts, and Annie, her blind older sister who sees visions.

They are wrapped up in the clutches of a school that trains girls with paranormal abilities. Fia is their most talented student, and they use her for all kinds of shady deeds. She must comply for Annie's sake. They keep Annie locked up and threaten her life if Fia does not cooperate.

It takes awhile to make sense of everything, but it really keeps the suspense of the story going. The title is perfect for this book, because that's what the story is--one big mind game! I had no idea how things would play out, and who the bad guys and good guys really were!

My favorite part of the story was Fia. She was a very intense, complex, and smart girl! Her sister, Annie, really annoyed me. I couldn't believe how stupid she was. And why the heck she just didn't trust Fia in the first place?

The ending was a shocker, and again, more mind games were involved! There will be a sequel to this story, and I can't wait to find out what Fia does next!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next one either! I thought the way the story was told was unique but kept the whole story intense :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I loved it, although I was very confused in the beginning! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!