Where reading is a way of life

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February Random Reads


I love this challenge because its monthly, so you can participate as much or as little as you want!  Its hosted over at I'm Loving Books 

In January, my book was 

I did finish it, and I gave it 4 stars!  Its a very good read.  Each chapter is a little short story about a character that lives in this little town on the east coast.  And each has a different view of Olive Kitteridge, an intimidating woman who seems to be involved in everyone's lives somehow.  We also get a few chapters from her POV.  What I loved was how the story and her character were built up over the course of the novel, and before you realized it, you loved Olive, and really felt for her!  This book was very well written!

The details:


In short, Random Reads is a meme where we pick a random book from our shelf to read within the month. Feel free to do more than one per month, but since a lot of people have a lot of books to read each month, only one is “required” for the meme. I’m on Goodreads so I’m using a combination of the sorting feature and Random.org to pick the book I’m going to read.
WANT TO JOIN IN ON RANDOM READS?
It’s easy…
  1. If you’re on Goodreads enable sorting to your to-read shelf (you should see numbers next to each book now).
  2. Go to Random.org and type in the Min as 1 and the Max as how many ever books are on your to-read shelf. Or you can enter a smaller number as the Max in order to always pick books that have been on your TBR shelf for longer.
  3. Scroll down to the book matching the number Random.org picks.
  4. Link up to your Random Reads post (below). If you choose more than one book per month, be sure to put a number by your name in the list so it doesn’t look like a duplicate.
  5. Read and be merry. :)
If you’re not on Goodreads just pick a random book from your list in whatever way you want to do it. You can use the method I used above or even just close your eyes and point randomly at a book on your bookshelf if you want (spin the bottle style). lol
___________________________________________________________________

For February, I picked 5 books off of my physical bookshelves.


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
Sweep Vol I by Cate Tiernan
Possession by Nancy Holder
When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

I was thrilled with all of these!  And also nice variety! Sweep is actually a bind up of the first 3 books in the series.  They are about 200 pages each, so I'm not sure if I'll get all 3 read, but I'll definitely read the first book!

Then I picked a book off of my Nook

Here by Denise Grover Swank

And I picked a book off of my Kindle account

Mer by Jade M Phillips


So, I have plenty to read for books on my shelves!  Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! You have some good looking picks and a good mix. I have read the first book in the Sweep series and it was a quick read. Jane Eyre is good, but it was kind of slow at points. I like the covers on your two ebooks. I am hoping to finish my one! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You as well! I picked up Mer for free one time, and Here was a .99 cents deal. I get lots of cheap and free ebooks, but I hardly ever read them! And I need to get my book shelves read! So many I own that I haven't read! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I have Mer myself, but I'm not sure when I'll read it. Maybe when I live with a bunch of cats I will. :D

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sophia! Mer looks really good, I'm excited the random generator picked it!

      Delete
  3. Trying to catch up on the blog posts that I've missed, and this is a great challenge idea. I will totally have to get on board for March! I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and I look forward to seeing what you think of it, and the Cellist in Sarajevo--that one has caught my attention but I haven't read it yet. Hope your month has been going well with all of the reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!